Counting down to episode #100, here is our review of "The Curious Case of Dean Winchester".
(may contain spoilers up to current episode of season 5)
I wasn't looking forward to watching "The Curious Case of Dean Winchester". The previous incarnations of Dean Winchester: Ridge Canipe and Brock Kelly were cool and confident, but were unable to truly capture Dean. Jensen Ackles has left an indelible mark on the distinct and iconoclastic Dean Winchester. Ackles has made various versions of Dean a burden to cast in my opinion, and I truly blame Ackles. If I had the chance to utilize the talent of any actor living or dead to portray a young Dean, I would chose the late and great James Dean, or the late and amazing River Phoenix. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly entertained by Chad Everett's daunting turn.
Jim Beaver and Chad Everett can put on quite a show. The chemistry is nigh perfect, bouncing off each other as if Everett has always been a member of the cast. I actually can't pinpoint a moment when I was disappointed with Beaver and Everett together. The comedic timing...perfect. The references to "Grumpy Old Men"...perfect. The Dean/Bobby chemistry...well, nearly perfect. Jim Beaver and Chad Everett carried this episode. Chad saying dude. Bobby referencing a certain senator. The graveyard scene... Sera Gamble is at her best when Dean and Bobby argue, trade humor, wit, and snide remarks. We need another episode with Chad Everett back in Dean Winchester's shoes and Sera Gamble at the helm.
Robert Singer directs with a wonderful sense of excitement and elegance. His directing looks like pictures in an art exhibition. I love his angles. I loved the fast pace cuts during Sam's poker scene, slowly building the excitement until Sam's deserving win. Singer films guest stars Pascale Hutton( Lia) and Hal Ozsan(Patrick) as if they were art pieces, with elegance and beauty. He uses the chemistry between Jensen Ackles and Jim Beaver to his advantage, filming them with intensity and tenderness. Singer also uses Jared Padalecki's sharp features in the sweat inducing final poker scene to save Dean's life.
I do have a few criticisms about this episode.
Unfortunately, I somehow wish that this episode could be moved to a different season. I realize that Bobby was not in a wheelchair in past seasons, but the idea that Bobby could feel helpless enough to bargain for his life could have been done earlier. I think it would have been interesting character development to see a distraught Bobby in the fourth season, possibly because we know so little about the character. Who is Bobby Singer anyway and where did he get Dean's amulet? Why was the amulet originally meant for John? What was going on with Pamela and Bobby, because I saw fireworks! Secondly, if the episode had been part of the fourth season, Sam's desperation to save his brother would have meant something more, it could have been more endearing, perhaps more intense. Seen here in season five, I wanted to see Sam lose that poker game, just to see what Michael would do. Thirdly, the boys let Patrick live. Sure, I found Hal Ozsan fascinating and enigmatic, but are the boys really that busy with the apocalypse? Perhaps. As I type the end of this blog I'm missing that darling angel, Lucifer right now.
Stay with us as Celebrity Hollywood Connection counts down to episode #100 of Supernatural.
Happy Birthday Jensen Ackles!
~Louisa Hinmon
*Supernatural Chat, part 2 (season 6)
*Congrats to the TV Guide Poll
*Jensen Ackles wins TV Guide Poll
*Castiel Wins TV Guide Poll
(may contain spoilers up to current episode of season 5)
CW/WB Supernatural promo season 1
"The Curious Case of Dean Winchester" ~Written by Sera Gamble, Directed by Robert Singer. Starring: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Jim Beaver, and Chad Everett...
I wasn't looking forward to watching "The Curious Case of Dean Winchester". The previous incarnations of Dean Winchester: Ridge Canipe and Brock Kelly were cool and confident, but were unable to truly capture Dean. Jensen Ackles has left an indelible mark on the distinct and iconoclastic Dean Winchester. Ackles has made various versions of Dean a burden to cast in my opinion, and I truly blame Ackles. If I had the chance to utilize the talent of any actor living or dead to portray a young Dean, I would chose the late and great James Dean, or the late and amazing River Phoenix. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly entertained by Chad Everett's daunting turn.
Supernatural has hosted a slew of incredible guest stars, some of whom have been Barry Bostwick, Sarah Shahi, Loretta Devine, Nicki Aycox, Linda Blair, (our favorite here at CHC) Billy Drago, and more...But Chad Everett was placed in the most precarious place in the Supernatural Universe, in between Bobby Singer and Sam Winchester and the outcome was splendid. I truly enjoyed Chad Everett as Dean Winchester.
Bobby's character has always interested me, partly because I have always perceived Bobby to be a dignified man hiding behind a trucker hat and that in every hunter's life, lies tragedy. The fans don't find out until "Dream A Little Dream of Me" that Bobby once had a wife and without knowledge of the supernatural, Bobby took the only course of action he understood. The Bobby we know is the best hunter on the show, skilled and intelligent, Bobby's house is a house full of books. Deep down Bobby is a self trained, intelligent, haunted man. Bobby is brilliant at Latin, Japanese, and spells; and has an awesome bomb shelter, replete with a poster of Bo Derek. The Merlin in the Supernatural universe, the trusty, mentor/sage acts as a surrogate father to the Winchester Brothers. If the boys have to answer to anyone, it would be Bobby Singer. I'd like to take this moment and thank Jim Beaver for portraying Bobby Singer with integrity, attitude, and grit. Thank you.
In this episode the Bros.Winchester hunt down a couple who seem to curse with age or bequeath with youth. When Bobby sees an opportunity to heal himself, he takes the chance and loses in a high risk poker game. Dean is determined to reverse Bobby's fate, but becomes the next victim instead. In comes Chad Everett as an older Dean Winchester and the fun begins.
It was difficult to see Bobby so torn over his life and his future. The handsome Jim Beaver is a skilled actor, probably so skilled that we forget that Jim Beaver is not Bobby Singer. Beaver seems trapped in Bobby Singer, but that's only an illusion. Beaver is an artist and a technician and Supernatural is very lucky to have him on the show. Jim Beaver rises to perfection as Bobby. We believe Bobby, we trust him, we want him to yell at the boys when Sam and Dean get out of line. Outside of the Winchesters, Singer is probably the most beloved character in Supernatural.
CW/ Supernatural Screencap by Supernatural Wiki
Robert Singer directs with a wonderful sense of excitement and elegance. His directing looks like pictures in an art exhibition. I love his angles. I loved the fast pace cuts during Sam's poker scene, slowly building the excitement until Sam's deserving win. Singer films guest stars Pascale Hutton( Lia) and Hal Ozsan(Patrick) as if they were art pieces, with elegance and beauty. He uses the chemistry between Jensen Ackles and Jim Beaver to his advantage, filming them with intensity and tenderness. Singer also uses Jared Padalecki's sharp features in the sweat inducing final poker scene to save Dean's life.
I do have a few criticisms about this episode.
Unfortunately, I somehow wish that this episode could be moved to a different season. I realize that Bobby was not in a wheelchair in past seasons, but the idea that Bobby could feel helpless enough to bargain for his life could have been done earlier. I think it would have been interesting character development to see a distraught Bobby in the fourth season, possibly because we know so little about the character. Who is Bobby Singer anyway and where did he get Dean's amulet? Why was the amulet originally meant for John? What was going on with Pamela and Bobby, because I saw fireworks! Secondly, if the episode had been part of the fourth season, Sam's desperation to save his brother would have meant something more, it could have been more endearing, perhaps more intense. Seen here in season five, I wanted to see Sam lose that poker game, just to see what Michael would do. Thirdly, the boys let Patrick live. Sure, I found Hal Ozsan fascinating and enigmatic, but are the boys really that busy with the apocalypse? Perhaps. As I type the end of this blog I'm missing that darling angel, Lucifer right now.
Stay with us as Celebrity Hollywood Connection counts down to episode #100 of Supernatural.
Happy Birthday Jensen Ackles!
~Louisa Hinmon
*Supernatural Chat, part 2 (season 6)
*Congrats to the TV Guide Poll
*Jensen Ackles wins TV Guide Poll
*Castiel Wins TV Guide Poll
This article is a reflection of the opinions of the author. The author and Hollywood Celebrity Connection is in no way affiliated with the CW, Supernatural, or it's creator Eric Kripke. All photos are the property of the CW network.This is a fan blog. Screencaps courtesy of

