Kamis, 29 April 2010

A review of the 100th episode of Supernatural: Point Of No Return

 "Point Of No Return"~written by: Jeremy Carver...directed by: Philip Sgriccia...starring: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Jim Beaver, Kurt Fuller, Misha Collins, and Jake Abel...may contain spoilers up to the current episode of Supernatural...




CW Supernatural Screencap by Supernatural Wiki



We were promised so much for the 100th episode of Supernatural. Yes, I know this review is late, but life got in the way...

We stand on the other side ladies and gentlemen and what a roller coaster ride it has been. Our beloved characters were boys searching for their father and now they are men fighting the apocalypse in a seemingly no win situation.

Where shall I begin. Shall we begin with Dean writing some kind of suicide note and packing away his things and toasting to himself and his altruistic decision to say yes to Michael? That's how we find Dean in "Point Of No Return". Fortunately Sam and Castiel intercede. Cas lulls Dean into unconsciousness, yes that's said with sarcasm, and we find ourselves at Bobby's.

It's a bout of tough love as Bobby, Sam, and Castiel watch out for Dean. Philip Sgriccia and Jeremy Carver set up the tension as Dean stands resolute against his guards. Dean has his guard up, he's snickering, and he's snide. When Dean lashes out at Bobby, Dean is obviously closing the door on his life and his connections. I wanted to yell, that's not going to stop Bobby from caring about you son, try again. Before the tension becomes suffocating, Castiel is called to an occurrence.

Entering from the ground, the third brother Winchester, Adam (Jake Abel) makes his appearance as a possible back up vessel for Michael. I was skeptical the first time Adam was introduced, but Jake Abel is a capable actor and I loved his voice. He fit right in with Sam and Dean.

"We're working on the power of love," Dean says.
"How is that going?" Adam says.
"Not so good," Dean answers.

That's when Adam became a true Winchester for me. Jake Able's easy chemistry with both Jared and Jensen sold me on the third brother.

The most painfully sad scene occurs with our beloved brothers in Bobby's panic room. The scene is well directed, well acted and wonderfully written. Jared and Jensen truly shine in this scene. Dean lists off the people he and Sam have lost. He also drawls on about his lack of faith in Sam. Dean's harsh words can anger me, but I must realize how troubled Dean's character has become, how unstable. It still resonates, it's still painful to hear. All the while Jared and Jensen do a superb job with this kind of intimate scene. A scene like this one can easily be mishandled, but here, Jared and Jensen show off why they are the two main leads on a show that has reached it's 100th episode.

In probably the most talked about scene in "Point Of No Return", Castiel confronts Dean in an alley, in the rain, with a barrage of fists and anger. I have very mixed emotions over this scene. First of all Castiel unleashes an anger I've never seen before. I didn't even think he was capable. Secondly, the impeccable directing and editing enhance the writing. I felt myself hanging on every word and every punch. Thirdly, this is a fanblog, so I'm going to take a chance here to say that I found Dean's chemistry with Castiel getting pushed to it's limits and succeeding. At the same time, I don't enjoy a fair fight. With Dean truly unable to fight back or defend himself, it made the scene disturbing, yet interesting.

Meanwhile, Zacharia has invaded Adam's dreams and has located him. Flex a bit of angel powers and Zacharia now has a vulnerable Adam in his clutches, holding him in the same gilded cage as Lucifer Rising. Adam has only been a pawn.

Back in the panic room Sam and Dean have one more heart to heart before deciding to rescue their dear brother. Once again, the chemistry between Jared and Jensen hold the scene together. Jared and Jensen are good actors, lifting words off a page and breathing life into them. The show wouldn't have lasted without them.

I have to address the Dean and Castiel sequences. I rather enjoyed them. I'm not exactly sure why the writers have decided to cater to the fandom by addressing the stares and the risque words that float between the two characters. But the writers seemed to have intentionally highlighted the characters' bond in this episode. The writers were obviously shouting out to what the fandom calls Dean/Castiel. At least it didn't go too far.

I don't understand why some viewers were not completely satisfied with this episode. I certainly was entertained. Was I disappointed that the golden prison was located in Van Nuys CA? Yes, but Castiel's quick thinking and t-shirt ripping scene was unexpected. I didn't realize that an angel can be injured with any sharp knife.

Kurt Fuller in what looks like his final scene was absolutely fabulous. I love Kurt's portrayal of such an arrogant, grandiose, and demented angel.


 CW Supernatural  Screencap by Supernatural Wiki


Jensen is a revelation here. I enjoy watching him work. Dean's pleas for Zacharia to stop torturing his brothers were gut wrenching and tear jerking...and all that time that little pretentious, insolent Winchester was just being cunning and deceitful? Brilliant. Good going. Good one. I haven't been this impressed with an actor who's known mainly for his TV work in a long time.

I'm ecstatic that Dean terminated Zacharia, but I'm crushed about Kurt Fuller. Kurt and Jensen have something special between them. I see fireworks when Zach and Dean argue and exchange insults.



 CW Supernatural Screencap by Supernatural Wiki


I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of viewers. I enjoyed "Point Of No Return". I believed that it had all the elements of a perfect 100th episode. Excellent directing and editing, Wonderful writing. Awesome performances. I'm just going to be the odd one out. Congratulations Supernatural!!







~Louisa Hinmon














The article expresses the opinions of the author. The author and Celebrity Hollywood Connection are in no way affiliated with Eric Kripke or the CW. Photos are property of the CW network. This is just a fanblog. Screencaps courtesy of Supernatural Wiki.