"Dark Side of the Moon" written by: Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin, directed by: Jeff Woolnough.....starring: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Kurt Fuller, Misha Collins, Samantha Smith, Colin Ford, Chad Lindberg, Roger Aaron Brown, and Traci Dinwiddie...may contain spoilers up to current episodes of season 5.
When I first saw the sneak preview of this episode, my first thought was, alrighty now, the boys are dead again. I'm going to be frank here. I thought this episode was about a labyrinth created by Zacharia to throw Dean into misery and separate the brothers. The brothers are stronger together and would do anything for each other. Zacharia was on a mission.
The writers seemed to have written this episodes in parts. We begin with Dean waking up and discovering his knife missing from underneath his pillow. Seems ominous. We then discover the boys held at gunpoint by Roy and Walt. I actually feel sorry for these guys. I'm pretty sure Dean won't be too forgiving.
This episode contains my favorite brotherly moment of all time. Jensen and Colin please take a bow. Applause follows. Beautifully directed and sculpted, this is what film making is about. I love the way Sam (Colin Ford) dances in the light show and I love the way Dean just stares at how happy Sam could be and should have been. The superb directing moves from brother to brother as if we were witnessing a secret and sacred moment between Sam and Dean. If only this profound moment could have lasted longer, but this is not experience the Brothers Winchester were destined to endure.
Propelled by Castiel and his faith in God's power to save the world, Sam and Dean embark on a trip, following the road in Heaven, to see Joshua. Roads in heaven...I had to use my imagination, especially when the boys start looking into closets and drawers.
The next following scenes deal with a moment in Dean's past. Mary Winchester (Samantha Smith) fixes young Dean a sandwich, cuts off the crusts, and speaks to John Winchester on the phone, who is oddly not living with the rest of the family. Padalecki's reaction to the moment is beautiful and sad. Ackles' acting is poignant and profound. We see both a very young Dean, as well as the adult Dean comfort his mother. Jensen's performance is pure and breathtaking. The reverence Dean bestows upon his mother's memory unravels like a painting, with Ackles delivering the brush strokes with delicate certainty. Ackles is intricate and astounding here. Yes, he's that good. I saw both the little boy and the adult Dean Winchester in that scene.
Sam and Dean Winchester continue on this road pursued by Zacharia, but before the boys are captured, they make two relevant stops.
When Jared Padalecki smiles a beam of light seems to follow. We enter into Sam's memory of running away for two weeks in Flagstaff at twelve. It's a boys dream of being alone, eating pizza, and having a loving pet. Sam not only remembers the time with fervor, he pets his dog Bones, and indulges in a slice of pizza. Jared's delightful display of youth and freedom permeates through this sequence. We're drawn right into Sam's need for safety and normalcy.
The scene is rudely interrupted when Dean remembers this moment too. Perhaps the writers wanted the fans to believe that John's wrath rained upon Dean Winchester, or perhaps the acting of Jensen Ackles caused me to cringe in fear, but FEAR inundated my pores.
I'm left to wonder at this point, "What are the writers trying to do with John Winchester's character anyway?"
This part gets strange. The boys run into a mask wearing friend who leads them to the Roadhouse where the Brothers Winchester talk to both Ash (Chad Lindberg) and Pamela (Traci Dinwiddie). I don't trust this scene at all, although it was wonderful to see both Chad and Pamela again. I didn't trust the characters, but Chad and Pamela are amazing and such a joy to watch. I always thought that Pamela flirted with Sam...
Ash devises a way for Sam and Dean to reach Joshua through a shortcut, but Zacharia finally displays his flamboyant and demented personality. Zacharia is a brilliant and dominating character. He's despicable and evil and entertaining from the start. Kurt Fuller deserves to take a long round of applause for his work here on Supernatural.
Kurt Fuller and Samantha Smith have the most disturbing, yet the most captivating scene in this episode. Bathed in green light, Zacharia uses Mary Winchester as his puppet in a bizarre scene where Jensen shows us the fragility of Dean's psyche. Dean's attempts to find an escape from this particular nightmare only escalates the absurdity of the situation. Jeff Woolnough did an outstanding job with this particular scene, from the creepy green light to Zacharia's tirade to capturing Mary Winchester's marionette like movements. I'm impressed.
As much as I loved the directing and the performances here, I'm just not completely sold on this episode. When the boys finally meet Joshua, we, the fans are left with the same questions about Sam and Dean and God. The episode was frustrating. I feel manipulated somehow. I have no comment on the final scene of this episode until the finale. I'm hoping for an eventful season finale because I know all my questions will be answered. I can feel the writers gearing up for season six already.
Thanks for reading and joining us in celebrating Supernatural's exciting climb past 100 episodes!!
~Louisa Hinmon
*Supernatural Chat, part 2 (season 6)
*Congrats to the TV Guide Poll
*Jensen Ackles wins TV Guide Poll
*Castiel Wins TV Guide Poll
CW Supernatural Screencap by Supernatural Wiki
When I first saw the sneak preview of this episode, my first thought was, alrighty now, the boys are dead again. I'm going to be frank here. I thought this episode was about a labyrinth created by Zacharia to throw Dean into misery and separate the brothers. The brothers are stronger together and would do anything for each other. Zacharia was on a mission.
The writers seemed to have written this episodes in parts. We begin with Dean waking up and discovering his knife missing from underneath his pillow. Seems ominous. We then discover the boys held at gunpoint by Roy and Walt. I actually feel sorry for these guys. I'm pretty sure Dean won't be too forgiving.
This episode contains my favorite brotherly moment of all time. Jensen and Colin please take a bow. Applause follows. Beautifully directed and sculpted, this is what film making is about. I love the way Sam (Colin Ford) dances in the light show and I love the way Dean just stares at how happy Sam could be and should have been. The superb directing moves from brother to brother as if we were witnessing a secret and sacred moment between Sam and Dean. If only this profound moment could have lasted longer, but this is not experience the Brothers Winchester were destined to endure.
Propelled by Castiel and his faith in God's power to save the world, Sam and Dean embark on a trip, following the road in Heaven, to see Joshua. Roads in heaven...I had to use my imagination, especially when the boys start looking into closets and drawers.
The next following scenes deal with a moment in Dean's past. Mary Winchester (Samantha Smith) fixes young Dean a sandwich, cuts off the crusts, and speaks to John Winchester on the phone, who is oddly not living with the rest of the family. Padalecki's reaction to the moment is beautiful and sad. Ackles' acting is poignant and profound. We see both a very young Dean, as well as the adult Dean comfort his mother. Jensen's performance is pure and breathtaking. The reverence Dean bestows upon his mother's memory unravels like a painting, with Ackles delivering the brush strokes with delicate certainty. Ackles is intricate and astounding here. Yes, he's that good. I saw both the little boy and the adult Dean Winchester in that scene.
Sam and Dean Winchester continue on this road pursued by Zacharia, but before the boys are captured, they make two relevant stops.
When Jared Padalecki smiles a beam of light seems to follow. We enter into Sam's memory of running away for two weeks in Flagstaff at twelve. It's a boys dream of being alone, eating pizza, and having a loving pet. Sam not only remembers the time with fervor, he pets his dog Bones, and indulges in a slice of pizza. Jared's delightful display of youth and freedom permeates through this sequence. We're drawn right into Sam's need for safety and normalcy.
The scene is rudely interrupted when Dean remembers this moment too. Perhaps the writers wanted the fans to believe that John's wrath rained upon Dean Winchester, or perhaps the acting of Jensen Ackles caused me to cringe in fear, but FEAR inundated my pores.
I'm left to wonder at this point, "What are the writers trying to do with John Winchester's character anyway?"
This part gets strange. The boys run into a mask wearing friend who leads them to the Roadhouse where the Brothers Winchester talk to both Ash (Chad Lindberg) and Pamela (Traci Dinwiddie). I don't trust this scene at all, although it was wonderful to see both Chad and Pamela again. I didn't trust the characters, but Chad and Pamela are amazing and such a joy to watch. I always thought that Pamela flirted with Sam...
Ash devises a way for Sam and Dean to reach Joshua through a shortcut, but Zacharia finally displays his flamboyant and demented personality. Zacharia is a brilliant and dominating character. He's despicable and evil and entertaining from the start. Kurt Fuller deserves to take a long round of applause for his work here on Supernatural.
Kurt Fuller and Samantha Smith have the most disturbing, yet the most captivating scene in this episode. Bathed in green light, Zacharia uses Mary Winchester as his puppet in a bizarre scene where Jensen shows us the fragility of Dean's psyche. Dean's attempts to find an escape from this particular nightmare only escalates the absurdity of the situation. Jeff Woolnough did an outstanding job with this particular scene, from the creepy green light to Zacharia's tirade to capturing Mary Winchester's marionette like movements. I'm impressed.
As much as I loved the directing and the performances here, I'm just not completely sold on this episode. When the boys finally meet Joshua, we, the fans are left with the same questions about Sam and Dean and God. The episode was frustrating. I feel manipulated somehow. I have no comment on the final scene of this episode until the finale. I'm hoping for an eventful season finale because I know all my questions will be answered. I can feel the writers gearing up for season six already.
Thanks for reading and joining us in celebrating Supernatural's exciting climb past 100 episodes!!
~Louisa Hinmon
*Supernatural Chat, part 2 (season 6)
*Congrats to the TV Guide Poll
*Jensen Ackles wins TV Guide Poll
*Castiel Wins TV Guide Poll
The article expresses the opinions of the author. The author and Celebrity Hollywood Connection are in no way affiliated with Eric Kripke or the CW. All photos are property of the CW network.This is a fanblog. Screencaps courtesy of Supernatural Wiki.
